Friday, May 7, 2010

Fashion Trends; Meds

The focus of many posts on this blog is going to be split-- I can tell.
Fashion News: I went out to the ballet last night for my birthday and saw Romeo and Juliet with my Balletomane Lady Friends. Unfortunately, the acting of the leads was disappointing, but the production, sets and costumes, swordplay and secondary characters all were excellent, and the score by Prokofiev is absolutely wonderful to hear performed live. I wore my Polo Ralph Lauren Clown Blazer for the first time. That's what I've dubbed it. I felt like a Fashion Victim but hey, it was my birthday so I'm allowed.

Bipolar Disorder Corner; MEDS: I've been taking medications for the symptoms of my Bipolar Disorder for just about twelve years now. I never ever miss a day. It took awhile to find a good combination and I've been through a number of variations over the years. Like everything else about this disease-- I had to go through trial and error, side effects which have greatly lessened over time, getting used to always making sure my prescriptions were refilled on time, going through my share of good and bad psychiatrists, etc. etc, etc. At one point my long-time therapist said to me: "Remaining stable with Bipolar Disorder is your full-time job right now." and I had to agree. I've put that goal before all others, at the beginning of my diagnosis and today. I can take a few more risks these days and I am able to live with more stress in my life, but the one thing I cannot do is stop taking my meds.

This is the NUMBER ONE LESSON I have to share with anyone just beginning to live with this diagnosis. Find a decent psychiatrist, find a decent medication or combination of meds, and stick with it. If one doesn't work, try a different one. Don't give up. IT WORKS!

Oh, and don't drink or do drugs-- because you might as well just throw your prescription meds down the toilet if you're doing that. More on this later!

Thanks to all of you who have checked this out so far...
luv ya, Grove/Alb./Madame G.

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend with this disorder. She feels so good while she's TAKING her meds that she 'decides' she's CURED and stops taking them. She's ended up in the hospital more than several times. She almost lost her job because she talked crazy at work & sent threatening emails to her bosses! During one manic phase, she bought a Mercedes that she could NOT afford and then wondered how in the hell she was stuck with it! I go months without talking to her, she exhausts me. I was never really a close friend to her, but I guess I'm not a very GOOD friend, either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy: What you write about your friend is the very reason why I feel it's important to start this blog. It's amazing to me how many people go off their meds when they feel healthy and then continue to deal with the mood cycles and the insanity. Don't feel guilty about being a bad friend-- your friend needs to take responsiblity for her own actions and her own health! Hopefully that'll eventually happen. And I know how exhausting it can be for the friends and family of those with BP when this isn't happening. I lost several friends and alienated others before I got it together with my diagnosis and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the outfit is smashing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Cindy wrote about: My best friends sister is a classic case, I've seen her go through that scenerio several times. She's doing pretty good right now and has been for a while.

    I like where this blog is going! As for that kick ass blazer, if you wear it happily with confidence then you're not a victim but a trend setter. I'm digging it!

    ReplyDelete